Sunday, April 7, 2013

3 Classroom Observations - Avery Hopkins

Mr. T uses PowerPoint for all of his reading lessons. I find it rather boring and in my earlier post, talked about integrating Prezi. I think that students need more engagement. By adding videos to presentations and giving the opportunity for students to talk about what they are learning in between slides or transitions will keep them focused and allows more student voice.

Mr. T gives individual laptops to each student to play math games. I think this is fun for the students but not really effective. Many students spend all their time just getting logged in and onto a website. Plus the computers are sometimes slow and non-responsive. I know that taking computer time out will not make the students happy, but I honestly think it just sucks up valuable time. Making the switch to Ipads would be awesome but not realistic. I think Mr. T should stick to just using it as a special treat for the kids, and not a weekly routine.

Mr. T uses Youtube on almost a daily basis. I think it's very quick and accessible. Students can watch any type of educational video at the click of a button. Students love having lecture broken up with short video clips: it keeps their attention and is fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment